Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Story behind the Picture - Week 4


Welcome to week 4! I know its strange that I've had this blog for at least three months and have only had 4 installments of this weekly story series; funny how time flies! Keep your eye out for more content in the coming months.

This photo is one of my personal favorites and best sellers. Believe it or not it was actually taken with my compact digital camera (Olympus Stylus 300 SW - $300 retail) when my photography was in its early stages. The camera works great still, and is actually waterproof up to 10 ft, with no special underwater housing to buy. Perfect for the Hawaiian lifestyle.

Anyways, back to the story. This photo is entitled "Malaekahana sunrise", named appropriately after the beautiful Friends at Malaekahana campground on the North Shore of Oahu. This peaceful place is surrounded by wind-swept trees and fine sand with s secluded beach that stretches for more than a mile. It even has its own separate island (called Goat Island) about 100 yards across the reef if you are daring enough to make the trip.

I had to improvise to take this shot, since I didn't have a DSLR yet, and no tripod, I placed it on a nearby picnic table to stabilize the camera to capture the incredible sunrise that morning. I unintentionally created some dynamic leading lines that lure the eye deeper into the photograph and really adds to the overall feeling of tranquility and peace that it evokes. The lines can almost be mistaken for shadows coming from the trees branches cast by the sun's bright early light.


This photo is available for purchase in my Etsy Shop.

No comments: